If an Indian tribe, worked through every one of the bureaucratic process with all the Bureau of Indian Affairs and can build an internet casino in downtown Enid, would you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos around the state, you most likely run into other people you know from Enid, partaking within the recreation supplied by the casinos. These are the same people who have left our town and so are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping with the stores, eating with the restaurants, and staying on the hotels in the area.
A brief history:
The capability to run bingo games was among the numerous concessions designed to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person made a bingo game that appeared as if a video slot. We have got all seen the small digital bingo card on the top corner with the display screen of the slot machine. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos started to spring up everywhere. After all, you are still playing bingo, just in the new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact relating to the tribes along with the State of Oklahoma allowed the usage of Vegas style slot machine games, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and much better casinos were built and they are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino are only able to be built within historic tribal boundaries after which placed in a trust while using U.S. government. Since Enid does not have any casino, could be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it absolutely was found, that prior to the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part in the Cherokee Outlet, occupied through the Cherokee people following the Treaty of New Echota along with the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the region was a hunting ground of the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us being within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive aspects of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are delivered to operate tribal governments and programs for the citizens. In addition, a portion from the revenue is split with all the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize the revenues to enhance infrastructure.
3. Related tourist attractions are built.
4. Jobs are made.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons discovered that over 80 percent with the visitors to casinos were thinking about also doing something aside from get more info gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions like family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian business people.
10. Casinos provide a magnet for outside money that would not previously exist.
11. Local resident who used to travel outside from the area now stays within the area.
12. More construction jobs are manufactured building casinos.
13. Gambling is surely an accepted opportinity for governments to increase funds. It is seen as source of money that's easier to obtain because it's not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the following businesses showed an surge in profits, attendance, and customers after an internet casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative areas of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependency.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time invested in useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amounts of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes are also influencing gambling as well as other policies affecting Native Americans by handing a lot to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is surely an increase inside the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is named an action addiction. When gambling, the endocrine system, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more frequently, it contributes to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so that it takes more gambling and better stakes, to find the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine game gambling lights up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If a casino were to petition to come to downtown Enid, what would be your opinion? Do you think it would enhance our community or bring social problems natural meats not want to cope with?